Trust In Us To Help You
Build A Better Future.

What are the Four Types of Immigration?

Latest News

Foreign-born individuals migrate to the United States for a better and safer life for themselves and their families. The most common reasons include more work and educational opportunities, better living conditions, and less violence.

When migrating from another country, there are different ways to live and work in the United States. The four main categories of immigration status include citizenship, permanent or conditional residency, non-immigration status, and undocumented immigration status.

From temporary visas to permanent residency to citizenship, our attorney can help you pursue the correct legal immigration status or offer legal representation regarding your current or future immigration status.

What is an Undocumented Immigrant?

Undocumented immigrants, also known as unauthorized immigrants or “illegal aliens,” are foreign-born people that live and work in the United States but do not have the proper authorization to do so. A person becomes an undocumented immigrant if they enter the United States without permission or do not get their temporary visa renewed. Not following immigration law is considered a violation, and a person can get removed from the United States if caught.

With one phone call to our firm, our experienced immigration attorney can help undocumented immigrations explore legal strategies to avoid deportation.

What is Permanent Immigration?

Non-citizen immigrants that hold a green card are considered lawful permanent residents (LPRs) of the United States. Permanent residents can live and work in the United States and share many of the same rights as United States citizens, though they cannot vote in federal, state, or local elections. An LPR is valid for approximately ten years.

Permanent residents can apply for U.S. citizenship after five years of residency or three years if married to a U.S. citizen. We can help you apply for a green card to obtain permanent immigration status.

What is the Process of Immigration?

In most cases, a person must sponsor you or file an immigrant petition to live or work in the United States legally. Family-based immigration is the most common type of migration in which a spouse, parents, or another family member provides sponsorship. Another way foreign-born people migrate to the United States is through an employment-based visa. We ensure you complete the steps in the immigration process and do all the leg work involved in helping you prepare and file the necessary paperwork.

If you are already in the United States and need to apply for a green card, or you’re looking to immigrate to the United States, contact our attorney to assist with your immigration process. A better life is right around the corner. Contact our firm today and learn more about your options: 408-402-4967.

Related Articles

Can My Fiancé(e)’s Children Come with Them on a K-1 Visa?

Read More

How is “Spouse” Defined for a CR-1 or IR-1 Visa?

Read More

What is VAWA Petition?

Read More